reviving Fedora Legacy

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Oct 13 08:04:02 UTC 2008

Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I don't think anyone would sign up as a user for such "support". LTS
> is about a fairly specific promise that is very hard to commit to.

The users I have in mind wouldn't actively "sign up" for it, they'd end up with
it due to inaction, just as they currently end up with no updates at all.

See also Ralf Corsépius's reply:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-October/msg01110.html

> At the moment, it's not clear to me (perhaps because I haven't read
> the appropriate doco...)
>
>  - Which Fedora release becomes the base for the next RH/CentOS release.

This is a decision made by Red Hat behind closed doors and only when it's time
for it, not in advance. So we cannot know.

>  - How I transition my userbase from Fedora support to CentOS support at EOL

This is just not possible, as explained many times in this thread. See e.g.:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-October/msg01047.html

> So I think it is a fair expectation to be able to "follow" a Fedora
> release into its RH/CentOS stabilisation, knowing that the process
> exists and that the stable branches are published. It definitely works
> for other distros. Perhaps it's possible with Fedora -- hints and
> pointers welcome.

It's neither a fair expectation nor possible.

        Kevin Kofler