reviving Fedora Legacy

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Oct 13 13:24:49 UTC 2008

On 13.10.2008 15:09, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 14:56 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 13.10.2008 14:18, David Woodhouse wrote:
>>> On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 11:35 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
 > [...]
>> "1" sounds stupid, but afaics it's really a big problem for a lot of
>> people. They simply view CentOS as something completely different, which
>>   it IMHO not really is.
> I disagree, CentOS and Fedora are completely different, e.g. on the
> "project control/management" side, target-audience wise and
> feature-wise.

Of course they are quite different in those areas. But when RHEL5 came
out it felt and looked a lot like a slightly modified and enhanced
Fedora Core 5 or 6 (which it was)-- that is want I meant ;-)

> [...]
>>  Or maybe
>> RH should simply start to distribute the RHEL bits freely.
> And this would be an even better alternative, but it's not that I would
> expect this to ever happen.

Well, if things continue like in the past two years then the younger
generation will only learn the Debian and Ubuntu way; that will
influence the decisions which Linux distribution to take when those
people get older and become decisions makers (the Wikipedia change is a
good example for it afaics). Hence Red Hat and Fedora afaics really need
to change some things become a bit more popular again if Red Hat wants
to continue making money in the long run ;-)

Cu
knurd