cross-compilers...

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 13:54:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 02:46:54PM +0100, Aidan Delaney wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 13:26 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > No, not yet. We still haven't really worked out how to deal with the
> > incestuous dependencies between libgcc and glibc (mostly that
> > libgcc_shared.so needs to be linked against libc).
> This is further complicated as some of us (I assist with spu
> cross-complilers) use newlib rather than glibc.
>
> For spu-gcc we've come up with a solution where we have
> spu-gcc-bootstrap which is in the BuildRequires of spu-newlib.  Then
> spu-gcc Conflicts with spu-gcc-bootstrap and Depends on spu-newlib.

Sounds similar to what we've done for mingw packages.

To bootstrap we have have two packages whose source is just the pre-built
mingw related APIs/runtime

  mingw32-runtime-bootstrap   (closet equiv to libc for mingw)
  mingw32-w32apis-bootstrap   (extra windows APIs)

Then we can build  mingw32-binutils & mingw32-gcc, and with those then
build the real mingw32-runtime and mingw32-w32apis RPMs, which obsolete
the 2  -bootstrap RPMs of same name. The two bootstrap RPMs only ever
need to be installed in the mock chroot once, for the initial build
cycle & can then be disposed of.

Daniel