reviving Fedora Legacy

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Mon Oct 13 21:17:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 04:00:47PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
> > Neither is upgrading from TurboGears to Ruby on Rails and having your app
> > work. If you started off by choosing the wrong tool, why would you expect
> > an upgrade to something different to work?
>
> I know about users for which Centos/RHEL is not right because it is too
> old, fedora would suit them, if they had not to upgrade after one year.
> Currently I have to propose them to install ubuntu, because there is
> nothing in the fedora/RHEL market that suits them. Not enough power user
> for fedora updates every year, need too recent stuff for RHEL. Another
> category who be those who want to use a controlled set of next
> technology preview in production environment and are willing to do some
> testing and help with bugs, hence would have choosen fedora, but cannot
> if they have to update each year.

On this point, I know I tend to be pretty liberal with my personal
machines (and tend to keep them at the latest !rawhide), but for my
work laptop, while I run Fedora for a variety of reasons, I tend to be
pretty conservative and upgrade to the latest only when forced to by
distro EOL or some other compelling reason.  A LTS plan would make
sense for reasonable situations like this.

                                                  -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia