Regarding install options

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Oct 14 02:40:14 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 09:29 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > You are nit-picking at words.
>
> As was everybody who ever complained about the "minimal" install option
> we had.
>

> > Though a Fedora installation with yum + rpm isn't "truely minimal", it's
> > the minimal install to keep an installation usable/maintainable.
>
> Which is useful to some, too fat for others.
Well, to me a "no-yum" installation is an ignorable extremal singular
case.

> > And yes, the fact yum pulls in python is a real problem on small
> > systems. Even worse are the system-config-* tools, most of which pull in
> > many more packages and don't even work without X.
> >
> > >   Congratulations you've just walked
> > > into a decade + argument.
> > I don't see this.
>
> Probably because you haven't been on the front line, taking the bug
> reports, talking to users at events,
Right.

>  trying to tweak the targets to
> match expectation and continually failing because there is no singular
> expectation.
Right, there is no singular expectation. But what Fedora currently
offers is not even an approximation of a minimal install.

What I am looking for as "minimal install", is a default configuration,
which is just sufficient to boot up into a root shell and launch yum,
such one can start to taylor an install set to personal demands.

Ralf