Regarding install options

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 03:31:20 UTC 2008

2008/10/14 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 00:45 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
>> Is it possible to design these sets for anaconda without recreating a boot
>> image, but only e.g. pointing it to an external repo that only contains comps
>> information?

Even working with anaconda and doing your own spins with revisor it's
not easy to get a slim F9 install. It's almost impossible to shed the
gtk/xorg toolchain because anaconda pulls it in.

> I think you'd have a lot of "fun" trying to get the UI right for your
> suggestion,

Other distros I use offer this ("desktop install", "server install"
radio buttons) instead of the current anaconda sets, and hide the
comps groups behind an 'advanced' option. The server install does
_not_ install X.

And on a different email, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>> > Though a Fedora installation with yum + rpm isn't "truely minimal", it's
>> > the minimal install to keep an installation usable/maintainable.
>>
>> Which is useful to some, too fat for others.
>
> Well, to me a "no-yum" installation is an ignorable extremal singular
> case.

The embedded devices crowd uses this kind of install ("no yum, no rpm
even") quite a bit, and they have a lot of overlap with the "headless
server" crowd in interests. So if you don't ignore that requirement,
you get a larger community of users/developers with a significant
overlap with your interests :-)

Even if each group thinks that the other is crazy... the overlap is
significant, and both can feed off each other.

Note! I am not arguing that such "no yum" option needs to be available
from the GUI anaconda installer. That'd be pointless. I just say that
it should be possible and at least somewhat supported via anaconda in
combination with revisor or pungi.

Right now it does not seem to be.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com