[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 14 05:39:57 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 17:42 -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>>> And non-free
>> It /is/ free... you pay for support only.
> Wrong. RHEL is opensource, but it is not free. You can't get RHEL
> binaries anywhere.

You are confusing non-free and commercial. They are not the same.
Non-free is a well established term for proprietary software. FSF,
Debian and even RPMFusion is using that term as such.

RHEL is commercial but not, non-free. The complete source in the form of
SRPMs is available in the Red Hat public ftp server. The free
availability of binaries is never a requirement for any of the free and
open source licenses.

Rahul