reviving Fedora Legacy

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 15:55:52 UTC 2008

On Monday 13 October 2008 17:43:12 Benny Amorsen wrote:
> RHEL and CentOS are simply too slow for some things, unless you get
> very lucky and they happen to have a release at the perfect time.
>
> Imagine starting development on something to be deployed in half a
> year or a year. RHEL right now is on kernel 2.6.18. If you e.g. need
> some of the many new features of netfilter since 2.6.18, you're
> "stuck" with Fedora. Not that I mind in the least being stuck with
> Fedora, of course.

I don't mind being "stuck" with Fedora either, but I'd like to clarify
something... If you need new features of netfilter (or other feature foo)
since 2.6.18, its likely others do too, and its also likely that we've back-
ported said features to the RHEL5 kernel already (or intend to for the next
release). Just because it says 2.6.18 doesn't mean its completely devoid of
features that have gone upstream since then.

Certainly, there *are* cases where features can't/won't be back-ported to the
RHEL kernel and a newer kernel is the only option, but beware of what you
think the RHEL kernel can't do. ;)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com