open-vm-tools for Fedora

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 10:55:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 08:47:19AM -0200, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>
>> I've no interest in sending patches to open-vm-tools as a project
>> because VMware require that you sign a contributors agreement.
>> This gives VMWare joint copyright assignment allowing them to use
>> all contributed code in non-open source projects. No thanks.
>>
> IANAL, but can VMware even require that for GPL,LGPL licensed code?
> I'd think not..?

You can require copyright assignments for any project (any project
protected by copyright at any rate).  The FSF, for example, routinely
asks for copyright assignments for all of their projects - it's just
that we trust the FSF a lot more than some random closed-source
company.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v