compat-python, Zope...

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 18:23:44 UTC 2008

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 17:23 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Well, the world sometimes is not as good as we would like it
>> to be; we can try our best to fix it, but the task is really really
>> big;
>> if you nevertheless try to do it you might forget the real goal you
>> aimed for in the beginning -- if you are not careful you might get
>> obsoleted and irrelevant on the way.
>
> I wonder if a fraction of the effort put into building up a parallel
> python branch was put into fixing Zope to work with modern python...
> would we still be worried about compat-python?

As long as we're speculating without knowledge, I'd say that more effort
would have to be spent on porting Zope and gettign the patches
integrated upstream than packaging compat-python.

Maintaining is another story, though :-).  So, although I'm very glad
that rpmfusion has compat-python packages, I think it is reasonable to
decide not to have it in Fedora.

Note that Zope3 developers tell me that they're making Zope more modular
(on the order of 100+ packages) which means that getting started on
working on Zope3's code (and porting it to new python versions) will get
easier but packaging it will get harder.

> There is a good chance that we'll be looking at Python 3 in a coming
> Fedora release, so Zope will be two major python releases backwards, now
> seems like a great time for interested parties to work towards getting
> Zope working with Python 2.6 (at least).

I've been looking more closely at Python 3 lately for unicode problems
we're going to trip over.  Python-3.0rc1, at least, would cause *huge*
problems in all sorts of random places within our codebase.  Hopefully
things will be better by python-3.1 but a lot of the issues need to be
pushed from other people with a Unix/Linux or distro-centric viewpoint.
 A few voices in the wilderness are not enough.  It would be great if we
had more upstream presence in all aspects of python.

Python-2.6, as a transition between 2.x and 3.x will be easier for us to
port to but that does mean that we'll have more porting work to do for
the python-3.x move.

-Toshio