reviving Fedora Legacy

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Oct 15 20:27:05 UTC 2008

Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> wrote:
> Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> writes:
> > Fedora 8's been out less a year. It has, in that timeframe, received *over
> > 4600 updates*. Fedora 9 has received over 2600 in its current lifetime.
> >
> > How is upgrading to the next release really that many orders of magnitude
> > more change than this?

> The largest difference is that upgrading to the next release is almost
> an all-or-nothing thing. Incremental upgrades during the release
> generally
  ---------

      +--- But by no means always...

>           affect just one package at a time, so testing is relatively
> easy. When you upgrade the whole distribution you change openssl
> version, and that basically means upgrading everything that could in
> any way cause trouble, all at once.

Exactly like when OpenSSL is upgraded mid-life of the distribution. And
"just rebuild the new stuff over the old distribution" will probably break
badly when this happens too.

>                                     It is far from impossible, I do it
> all the time, but it does need a lot more care.

Care that could better be spent on the /new/ release.

> Once OpenSSL gets banished this pain will subside a bit, but it will
> probably never go away.

/That/ pain might dissapear, others are sure around...

>                         Back in the "good" old days it was libc
> causing that problem, but the developers of glibc have done an
> excellent job of keeping compatibility for many years now.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513