Status of libtool 2.2.X?

Karsten Hopp karsten at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 13:20:59 UTC 2008

Braden McDaniel schrieb:
> On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 06:34 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Karsten Hopp <karsten at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> My last rebuild showed only ~100 failures, I'm not sure what I've done
>>> differently
>>> this time. I suspect that the removal of libtool-ltdl and all related
>>> packages from
>>> my full-install might have caused this and I'm in the process of rebuilding
>>> those with libtool-2.
>>> I've uploaded the current logs to http://karsten.fedorapeople.org/
>>> After a quick glance at them I think that there are quite a few easy fixes,
>>> but I still
>>> have to find out what causes p.e. the cracklib failure.
>> Looking at the first few:
>>
>> afflib: needs AC_PROG_CXX
>
> Or better, just call autoconf instead of autoreconf.  (Or do it right
> and patch configure.)
>
>> amanda: aclocal not told where macros are, end up using old libtool m4 macros
>
> The problem is that libtoolize is getting run at all.
>
>> aplus-fsf: needs AC_PROG_CXX
>
> Wow... This one's a mess.  I don't think that's the problem.  In fact,
> I'm not convinced the problem with this package has anything to do with
> libtool2.  It's hard to see what's going on amid all the warnings about
> this code that the compiler is spewing; but if you scroll down to the
> bottom you'll see it's just missing something that goes after a -L flag;
> presumably some variable isn't getting set for some reason.

Looking at old build logs this isn't something introduced by libtool-2,
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/aplus-fsf/4.22.4/4.fc10/data/logs/x86_64/build.log
shows the same error. New in libtool-2 is that it doesn't silently ignore or misparse this anymore
and bails out with an error instead. This is a bug in aplus-fsf that needs to be fixed.

>> cracklib: yeah, failing on --tag=CC is very weird, especially when
>> configure.in seems completely reasonable

It seems that an old ltmain.sh causes this.

    Karsten