Collapsing DVD and CD torrents into one

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Fri Oct 17 20:29:32 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> Most torrent clients I've seen today allow you to pick and choose which
> files you wish to download.  As such, does it make sense to collapse the
> DVD and CD torrents into a single torrent and allow people to use the
> client to pick which they want?  Are there pros/cons to this?

 From an ease-of-use standpoint, I'd say now's not the time to collate
the ISO's under one torrent. Most people really only download one ISO.
Two if they're supporting multiple platforms (might be a good idea to go
back to stats to see). Currently, I have my desktop set up such that
when I click on a torrent file in my browser, it passes it off to
Azureus which downloads it in the background. Two clicks (which could be
made one if I told Firefox to "Always perform" the action).

The argument here is whether to "default to all and remove items" or to
"select each item one-by-one and somehow add a select all".

It would be nice if the BT protocol could actually support including a
subset of a torrent in the set for that standalone torrent, though (ie.
if I had the DVD image in a torrent that's composed of more files than
just that ISO image, it would still allow people who are just
downloading the standalone ISO image torrent to use my share as a
resource). That would make offering both options attractive.
--

Richi Plana