Collapsing DVD and CD torrents into one

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 21:27:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 16:42 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Then why don't you tell us what one can use from the cmdline as easily as
> bittorrent-curses?
>
> I agree with seth: mindlessness.  How am I going to explain to a friend of
> mine who wants to download Fedora then?  "Take the torrent from the site, but
> then only download the file with dvd in the name".

Mindless and commandline don't often go hand in hand (:

The way it works for me is I click on a torrent file that's offered via
a webpage, like get.fedoraproject.org .  This opens up Transmission,
which shows me a window with all the files in the torrent, boxes
pre-checked by them.  I uncheck what I don't want to download and hit
"add".  Transmission starts downloading the content and life is good.

We can reduce the number of links offered to users on download pages,
simplify the instructions, and have a better end user experience.

I'd imagine other desktops have similar workflows when dealing with
torrent files, I'd think resorting to the command line to deal with them
would be a last resort for the people who need help getting Fedora
downloaded.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!