Sendmail still default?

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 19 03:37:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 16:13 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:

> > for a couple of years now:
> >
> > http://advosys.ca/viewpoints/2006/08/postfix-supports-milter/
> >

> Supporting the milter interface and actually running existing milters
> that expect sendmail on the other side are two different things.  For
> example, milters may need to know if the connection is authenticated or
> using SSL.  If you are going to claim sendmail compatibility or be a
> functional replacement you have to provide the same information, the
> same way whether it was described in the interface documentation or not.
> Postfix pre-2.4 didn't.  It looks like it does now, but I still don't
> remember any mentions of people actually using it on the MimeDefang
> list.

 So? We aren't talking about auto migrating people's existing sendmail
deployments, which would require a higher level of compatibility.
 We are just talking about changing the default, to one which the
majority of users are likely to prefer (I appreciate that you have a
different preference, but even you must realize you are in a minority).

> And in any case, using MimeDefang as a sendmail milter eliminates most
> of the complaints anyone would have with sendmail itself since it lets
> you do the complex parts with control handled in perl instead of
> sendmail's internal language.

 Again, that would be your opinion ... and it is different to mine.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora