Collapsing DVD and CD torrents into one

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sun Oct 19 11:14:00 UTC 2008

On Sat October 18 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 01:04 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> > I have a probably crazy idea: How about composing the DVD iso using a
> > filesystem that contains the CD isos and a bootloader that can use the CD
> > isos as installation source? Then a little bit of space of the DVD iso
> > would be wasted and it would take a little more effort to burn only the
> > CD isos, but then only one torrent would be needed and everyone can
> > easily share bandwidth with everyone else.
>
> Split media installs (which that would result in for even the DVD case)
> has some interesting side-effects, that really hurt when trying to add
> external repos (particularly of updates) at install time.  I wouldn't
> want to force it upon everybody.

Would it be possible to not do a split media installation, but to configure
the kernel to allow more than 8 loop devices (if it is not already possible),
to loop mount all CD iso images and to configure each as a seperate repo for
anaconda, so that anaconda can access the contens of all iso images at once?

Regards,
Till