Collapsing DVD and CD torrents into one

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sun Oct 19 14:57:51 UTC 2008

On Sat October 18 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Chuck Anderson wrote:

> > Bonus points if you can figure out how to make the DVD multi-session
> > so that all the files from inside the embedded CD iso's show up as
> > regular files in the DVD :-)
>
> So the bootable chunk is like boot.iso which automatically mounts the
> rest of the dvd if present or lets you look elsewhere (like the nfs
> install) if not?

Yes.

> Will this also work if you copy the image to a
> suitably sized bootable USB drive?

I guess it will currently not work, if you copy the image that contains the cd
iso images, but you can copy the cd iso images onto a bootable USB drive.
Nevertheless, this is something that can be made possible, if this approach
is not rejected for other reasons.

> The missing piece would be how you
> create the individual CD's if you download from Windows and can't use a
> DVD.

There exists software for Windows, that allows to include iso images as
virtual optical drives. I do not currently know any name, but I have read a
lot about them in a computer newsgroup. Also I believe that recents windows
releases are distributed on DVDs.

Regards,
Till