uberpackager rename (was Re: The Big ACL Opening)

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Sun Oct 19 20:53:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 12:50 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> TK> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
> TK> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most
> TK> like what we're modeling here.
>
> Or the master/slave relationship, which I must point out is about as
> negative a connotation as the one some people insist on attaching to
> our current choice.
Then lets just scrap the 'superior' packager group if your worried about
that...

But honestly, there are at least 27 meanings of master
(http://www.answers.com/master) including:

n.
'12. A worker qualified to teach apprentices and carry on the craft
independently'
'13. An expert'

adj.
'4. Highly skilled or proficient'

Admittedly this is the problem with the English language, words such as
'Master' have many different implications.

+1 to Toshio's proposal (which looks like my suggestion :P)

- N.J.

--
Nigel Jones <dev at nigelj.com>