None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 20 01:48:13 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 11:37 -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Forget about Sendmail. Or Exim. Or Postfix as default install.
>
> Really.
>
> There's two types of people using fedora:
> 1) People who don't run a mail server

 I think you meant to add _incoming_ in there, having mail that's
generated on the local machine go somewhere _reliably_ is a basic
feature required by all users.

> For 1), all three are wrong. Really. All you really need is some
> minimalist commandline compatible thing that just forwards to some
> smart host (or maybe does only local delivery).

 Or both, and the forwarding has to work when the network is down.

>  SSMTP or similar is
> perfectly fine for this, while not taxing memory or boot time.

 Yeh, right. SSMTP doesn't have a spool, so anything sending email when
the network is down gets their email silently deleted. hell, SSMTP
doesn't even support aliases.
 Look, feel free to have the default be postfix; configured to sendmail
locally and/or remotely ... with no daemon and thus. no inbound
processing. SSMTP is just worthless for most users, hell having nothing
at all would be better (but be ready for every package that needs to
send email to point out not having an smtp sender installed by default
is retarded).

> For 2) these folks have a VERY specific personal preference.

 Not true.

>  This
> entire discussion proves that.

 Right, when almost everyone is saying change to postfix and one or two
people are saying "what's so wrong with sendmail" ... that must mean we
should do nothing *sigh*.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora