Chaning the default icewm theme.

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 10:37:59 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I maintain the icewm package under both Fedora and EPEL.
A couple of months ago I modified an existing theme to mimic the look of
Clearlooks and I'm thinking about using it as the default theme in the
next release of IceWM for both platforms.

A couple of problems/questions:
1. Should I include the theme in the main icewm package and use it as
the default theme? The theme is rather small (~27K compressed. ~600K
expanded.)
2. The Fedora theme uses the Fedora icon as it's "start" button. I tried
contacting the Fedora-legal theme and get their permission to use this
icon - but got no replays. Do I require explicit permissions to use this
icon? (I've got the same problem in RHEL/CentOS - but I'll ask the same
question in the EPEL ML.)
3. I was thinking about circumventing the legal/distribution issue by
adding a BR to the default theme on each of the platforms and use the %
post scripts to create a symbolic link between the platform's "logo" and
the missing image within my theme (An ideal solution - the theme will
auto-magically use what-ever logo your
distribution/clone/liveCD/respin/etc is using), however, I couldn't find
any common ground between the different platforms. Where does Fedora
keep it's icons? RHEL/CentOS?

Thanks in advance,
- Gilboa