Chaning the default icewm theme.

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Oct 20 16:04:12 UTC 2008

Gilboa Davara <gilboad <at> gmail.com> writes:
> 2. The Fedora theme uses the Fedora icon as it's "start" button. I tried
> contacting the Fedora-legal theme and get their permission to use this
> icon - but got no replays. Do I require explicit permissions to use this
> icon? (I've got the same problem in RHEL/CentOS - but I'll ask the same
> question in the EPEL ML.)

You cannot distribute the Fedora logo or the Red Hat red hat as part of your
theme. The logo has to be in the fedora-logos package (for RHEL, that would be
the redhat-logos package, but good luck getting an icon added there - most
likely it would only be added if your theme ends up in an RHEL release and so
the icon is needed, likewise centos-logos will probably only add the icon if
your theme is actually shipped in CentOS, not EPEL or something) and some
fallback has to be provided, either inside the theme if it is possible, or in
generic-logos.

The way it's done in KDE 4 is that:
* kde-settings contains a Fedora-KDE icon theme which inherits from Oxygen and
which is shipped empty. So by default (*), you get the KDE logo from Oxygen as
the start button. Fedora-KDE is also set as the default icon theme for KDE by
kde-settings.
* fedora-logos drops the Fedora logo into that icon theme, so it overrides
Oxygen's KDE logo.
* In our case, no fallback icon is needed in generic-logos because icon theme
inheritance takes care of it automatically.

(*) but that default is only invoked in the absence of fedora-logos

One thing you can do for RHEL/CentOS (which should also work in Fedora) is to
find an icon in redhat-logos which has a fallback with the same file name in
generic-logos (and fedora-logos and centos-logos), then just symlink to that
and add a Requires: system-logos. But you can't use your own fallback (e.g.
IceWM logo) that way, you get whatever is in generic-logos.

        Kevin Kofler