None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 18:43:42 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:

>>> I'm trying to think of a single thing that logwatch (or cron) would send
>>> about now that would be useful to forward to a random desktop user's yahoo
>>> address. I'm failing.
>> Most people would probably like to know if smartctl thinks their disk
>> drive is likely to fail or if a raid member has already failed and they
>> are running in degraded mode.   And maybe if a bazillion ssh login
>> attempts have failed.
>
> ... which should be pop-up alerts of some sort on the machine itself. Not
> sent halfway across the world waiting for you to connect to the internet.

You are kind of missing the point of a machine with a network, automated
scheduling and the native ability to run single apps in a remote window.
  Users don't need to sit in front of every machine  they have for it to
be doing something useful for them.  The user may in fact be halfway
around the world when you'd present that pop-up that he'll never see in
some window manager he's not running.  Messages you want should come to
you, rather than having to do the reverse.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com