CMake, CPack (was: Re: Summary of the 2008-10-21 Packaging Committee meeting)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 22 02:06:29 UTC 2008

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs <at> math.uh.edu> writes:
> * Cpack guidelines
> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/CmakeCpack
> ** The committee was unclear as to how this applied to packaging
>    guidelines at all, as it seems to contain tips for upstream
>    developers instead of instructions for Fedora packagers.

Indeed, CPack is unsuitable for building official Fedora packages for several
reasons (it does not generate source RPMs [1], it treats the specfile as an
implementation detail and hides it from the developer and it's extremely
unlikely the specfiles it generates are compliant with our guidelines, I've
seen horrible things in autogenerated specfiles).

Fedora specfiles should be either handwritten entirely or generated with a
specfile generator (e.g. cpan2spec) and then hand-edited to follow the
guidelines (and of course to actually build, e.g. by filling in the missing
fields if the generator you used is just a template generator like the one in
the rpmdevtools).

It is not hard to write a specfile for the average CMake-using package: please
see this template:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/4/40/SIGs_KDE_KDE4FAQ_kde4_foo.spec
for KDE 4 applications; for non-KDE applications using CMake, use the %build
and %install sections (and %check where applicable) from:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/cmake
instead.

[1] http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators#RPM_.28Unix_Only.29

        Kevin Kofler