Status of libtool 2.2.X?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 02:20:40 UTC 2008

2008/10/17 Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com>:
> On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 12:35 +0200, Karsten Hopp wrote:
>
>> My last rebuild showed only ~100 failures, I'm not sure what I've done differently
>> this time. I suspect that the removal of libtool-ltdl and all related packages from
>> my full-install might have caused this and I'm in the process of rebuilding those with libtool-2.
>> I've uploaded the current logs to http://karsten.fedorapeople.org/
>> After a quick glance at them I think that there are quite a few easy fixes, but I still
>> have to find out what causes p.e. the cracklib failure.
>
> I don't know what's going on with the libXp and xorg-x11-drv-* failures,
> we're not doing anything tricky.  Someone have a clue?

The problem appears to be `autoreconf' vs. `autoreconf -i'.

The process goes like this with bare autoreconf:

1) aclocal runs and updates aclocal.m4 with the new AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
definition it finds

2) libtoolize is skipped because -i/--install not given, leaving you
with an old ltmain.sh

3) fail

You can see the process if you add the -v switch to autoreconf.

Here's some background on why this happens:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2008-07/msg00024.html

--
Dan