R-devel going away

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Oct 23 14:27:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 09:55:08AM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> * It is causing no end of user complaints. The typical R user expects to
> be able to do a "CPAN" (really, I should say "CRAN") style package
> install through the R interface:
> install.packages("RSQLite")
> This doesn't work unless you have R-devel installed. The average R user
> is a professor or a student, and neither of them are going to
> necessarily possess the necessary Linux/Fedora knowledge to be able to
> understand why this doesn't work like the R documentation says it
> should.

Where do R packages installed this way go? I'd rather have people say "hey,
we're missing an R package" and then have that packaged up for Fedora, so we
can then later do a consistant install via kickstart. (Like perl modules,
they're generally relatively easy to package.)

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect