Packaging Guidelines: /opt

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Oct 24 02:30:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 08:57:50PM -0500, Andy Theuninck wrote:
> Hierarchy Standard, and as I read FHS /opt would be the most
> appropriate place to dump this mess. If I try to use /opt/webmin

I'm surprised the Fedora packaging guidelines don't mention this explicitly,
but historically Red Hat and Fedora have read "add-on application software
packages" to mean third-party packages -- i.e., not things we package.

> Also, neither the packing guidelines nor FHS make any mention of /var.
> Maybe that's a more appropriate spot.

These files aren't intended to change, are they? In that case /var really
shouldn't be in the picture.

There's some precedent for packages using /usr/lib/packagename for this
purpose -- bugzilla, for example, and, um, anaconda.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect