X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Mon Oct 27 21:19:31 UTC 2008

> If you're running F10Beta/Rawhide, you may have noticed already, but I
> wanted to make sure everyone knows this is intentional:
>
> X HAS MOVED FROM VT7 TO VT1.
>
> GDM specifically starts X on tty1, and upstart does not start a getty on
> tty1 in runlevel 5.

I'm running today's rawhide, but I still see X11 on vty7 (Ctrl-Alt-F7),
init log on vty1, and text login on vty2 through vty6.

"rpm -qa" says:
   gdm-2.4.0-11.fc10.i386
   xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.2-9.fc10.i386
   xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.9-4.fc10.i386
/etc/inittab says:
   id:5:initdefault:

The anaconda-11.4.1.51 installer also runs X11 on vty7, with anaconda "console"
on vty1, shell on vty2, various logs on vty3 through vty5, and "No signal" on vty6.