X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 18:37:15 UTC 2008

Casey Dahlin wrote:

>> True, but it's one brick in a lengthy series of stupid and silly
>> decisions, which have been gradually running down Fedora into this
>> single-user windows clone it has evolved into.
>>

> Are you serious? Really? You must have a very tenuous grasp of OS
> internals.

No, every change requires extensive documentation and retraining or you
will have confused and disgruntled users.

> Who does this affect?
> 1) People using the console a lot who also run X (remember, runlevel 3
> hasn't changed). Desktop users don't use consoles, server users don't
> use X (I hope). Only a few species of geek remain.

This dichotomy exists only in your imagination.  Desktop users sometimes
interact with servers, server users nearly always interact with desktops.

> 2) People recovering from X crashes. Bugs. Errors. Things we could be
> fixing and making not happen rather than accommodating this bizzare F1
> fetish.

People reading documentation.  Please change the behavior _after_
updating all existing documentation.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com