X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Conrad Meyer konrad at tylerc.org
Tue Oct 28 22:43:50 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 28 October 2008 03:38:09 pm Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 11:29 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 20:04 +0200, shmuel siegel wrote:
> > > There were also many alternatives mentioned in this thread. And reasons
> > > were given as to why this change is a bad idea. I haven't seen any
> > > response to the alternatives. The typical response to the objections
> > > were either "don't start a flame war" or "who cares about your use
> > > case". Is feedback wanted?
> >
> > well this thread has gone pretty out of control, so any chance of
> > getting the people who were actually doing the work to look in on it is
> > probably not going to happen.
>
> Understood, the almighty RHs knows better, the community is dumb :(

No, you're just complaining needlessly in this instance (and others). And I'm
not a RHer.

> > A more technical discussion, posed to the people who were making the
> > changes could perhaps result in a discussion about why the alternatives
> > either won't work, or weren't considered.
>
> The point is: To you, your claimed 3 seconds bootup speed up is a great
> achievement. To me, this "achievement" is negligible.
>
> To me, the fact of X11 going to F1 is a usability regression.

And no one else cares. The worst thing about Fedora isn't all these tiny
changes, it's the huge threads of one or two people complaining about it that
happen after the change.

Regards,
--
Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org>