Default network configuration during installation, NetworkManager and the /etc/sysconfig/network-script's

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 29 02:36:11 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com> said:
> This is a good point.  I really don't think it's unreasonable to require any
> of the following:
>
> 1) Users have to use NetworkManager to bring up a network interface.
> 2) Users have to run system-config-network to set up networking.
> 3) Users have to edit ifcfg-DEVICE files by hand.
>
> Over the past several years, we [anaconda team] has been trying to move as
> many system configuration screens out of anaconda as we can.  Only what we
> need to ensure the system either (a) installs correctly or (b) reboots and
> is usable.  We're down to:
>
>    language
>    keyboard
>    root password
>    timezone
>    hostname
>    boot loader (automatic unless you ask to configure it)

This means you can no longer start an install and SSH in once it is done
to perform the rest of configuration.  I'll start an install on a
computer in another room, and when I can ping its static IP, I can SSH
in and work on it (I don't have to walk back and forth, checking on it
periodically or do any more configuration at the console).  If that is
the desired case, then you might as well:

- disable sshd by default
- set "PermitRootLogin no" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config by default
- remove the SSH opening in the firewall

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>