Reasons to preseve X on tty7

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 29 12:51:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 13:42 +0100, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> * Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net> [20081029 12:38]:
> >
> > Well, the community is saying that reason is not good enough.
> > I think it's fair to ask the package maintainer to reconsider.
> > Making changes that break years-long traditional behaviour
> > without community consultation is arrogant at best.
>
> Breaking with tradition created things like OS-X (which fwiw is what
> any sane desktop out there today is trying to emulate).
>
> Doing something because "it's always been done like that" is a really
> bad reason. Doing something on technical merit and changing when a
> better way to do something is found is what I think should be done.
>
> Which tty you run X on I don't really care, as I think the end goal
> should be to ditch X and do what OS-X did.
>
> The biggest innovations happened by not following the sheep.

Actually, the biggest innovations aren't innovations. More times than
not they are evolutionary steps taken by slowly modifying an existing
design. They only look like innovations when viewed from the future.

A great example: A very bright individual once said to me "we need a
revolutionary change like the CD was from the cassette tape for music".
To which I responded:
   1. the cd was preceded by the less successful laser disc
   2. they were both preceded by wildly successful vinyl record.

The concept of spinning media storing data and allowing you to seek to
any location on the media nearly instantly is not a new idea.

There's no one working in computing today ANYWHERE who is doing
revolutionary work. I'd argue there is no such thing as revolutionary
work AT ALL. Stop looking for it where it is not.

-sv