Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:43:27 UTC 2008

Pierre-Yves wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I don't quite understand the obsession with making boot time faster
>> anyway.  Machines should only boot when they have a new kernel to
>> install.  If they aren't needed all the time they should sleep or
>> hibernate, waking up with everything still running.
>>

> My problem here are your two last words *still running*...
> Maybe especially on my laptop.

It has worked for me on a Mac Powerbook for 4 or 5 years and windows XP
for the last 2 at least.  Close the lid in one place, it sleeps.  Open
it somewhere else, it wakes up, adjusts to the new wired or wireless
network connection and everything goes about its business.  At least
things like browsers and email clients that know enough to reconnect
broken connections.  I go months without booting anything.  For the
things that actually do have to keep running, I park them on
UPS-protected linux boxes with freenx and reconnect as needed with the
NX clients that are cross-platform (and actually do the bulk of my work
there).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com