Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Oct 29 14:31:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 03:22:42PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> I know portmapper is special, I think we can fix this by adding a check
> if its running (by using the subsys lockfile, cheap) and if not start it,
> to all
> services using portmap.
>
> So the nis case would be fixed by the ypbind script starting portmapper
> (using service portmapper on) if not already running).

Is it the way dependent services should be handled? I don't think that
something special should be done for portmap/ypbind/nfs. I thought that
the switch to upstart was in part motivated by this kind of feature.

Otherwise said, I think that it is wrong to do it in the scripts, it
should be done in the boot sequence configuration.

--
Pat