Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 29 14:32:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 10:25 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2008/10/29 08:26 (GMT-0400) Brian Wheeler composed:
>
> > Almost all of the "reasons" from the original email boil down to "we've
> > always done it this way".
>
> Don't boil it down. The reasons are good why we've always done it this way
> and should keep the status quo. I haven't seen sufficient reason in this
> thread to dismiss those reasons.

_What_ are the good reasons why we've done it this way?  Its only tty7
because someone arbitrarily decided to run 6 getty processes way back
when.  If someone had decided that 4 was sufficient, then we'd be
arguing about tty5.

At least with X being on tty1 it makes sense since its the primary
terminal for most people.

The only non-"but that's the way it's always been" argument I've seen
thus far is documentation...which is something that can be changed.

Brian