X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 29 15:20:17 UTC 2008

(Please do not quote my e-mail address unobfuscated in message bodies.)

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke (ahem at stop.that) said:
>>> If you don't add the bits I mentioned, then you'll get a blank tty7
>>> when you boot in text mode. Which is presumably not what you want.
>> So add an explicit switch to tty1 in runlevel 3. It shouldn't flicker
>> because it's not changing display modes (at least, I don't remember
>> flicker switching between mingetty VT's; can't check right now because
>> X->VGA switching doesn't work on this machine). Where's the problem?
>
> You're having the kernel operate on Fedora specific commandline options
> to start on a completely different tty, one that could be configured
> by anyone locally to do something else entirely. (Unless you do it in
> userspace, which means you jump away and then jump back for text mode,
> which...)

Aside from the obvious question if this wouldn't start out as a
Fedora-specific kernel patch, why do you assume Fedora will be the only
distro with this problem? Or is plymouth (and similar technologies)
expected to remain Fedora-only forever?

--
Matthew
EPUN: program terminated due to egregious wordplay