Reasons to preseve X on tty7

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Oct 29 15:30:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Then we need to also teach autofs to start these services on
> demand.

The problem with this, and with the earlier example of reading
(and parseing [and reparseing on every change]) /etc/exports,
is that such a solution needs to account for corner cases --
think: LDAP 'add a mount, and deploy homes on demand and on
the fly' at a given chassis, etc.

There is no sensible end, nor reasonable purpose to automate
ALL possible configuration setups, because it is an NP
complete problem and exceeding fragile. (and, as I read this,
putting to side the timeouts and performance hit this imposes)

> Having all the daemons on for the 1% of Linux users who use NFS  ...

and 67 % of all statistics are fabricated on the spot and have
no basis in fact.

Source for '1%' please? -- I simply don't believe it, having
deployed and managed 'homes' for thousands of users of Linux
in NFS environments.

-- Russ herrold