Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Oct 29 16:01:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:57:19AM -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> Just listening to all this discussions make my hairs stand on ends.
> Whatever change is proposed, there are 10 people jumping on it why
> it shouldn't be done!

That's good. The default should be some level of respect for the user base.

> This is most frustrating. Again and again, we keep putting the needs
> of the fringe users ahead of what is needed by regular users. Like
> most others OSS projects, there seems to be a total lack of weighing
> when it comes down to these things.

The awesome part is you can define "fringe users" as "other people's use
cases" and "normal users" as "what I want".

> What is important? Well, it's not rocket science (and don't ask for
> studies, I don't care for that kind of discussion):

Exactly! No need to actually study when we can just make stuff up!

>   3. Relevance
>      Get important stuff working. What's important today?
>      Well, it's Web, Email, Music, Video. The rest is bonus.

1) What makes those things _work_ on desktop systems?

2) What's important tomorrow?

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect