Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Dax Kelson dkelson at gurulabs.com
Wed Oct 29 17:30:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 08:42 -0400, Brian Wheeler wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure out why there's all the love for X on tty7.
>
> Things change.  We adapt.  Having the primary interface on tty1 makes
> much more sense than it being on tty7.  On a semi-serious note, the tty7
> choice is a historical accident...not a design choice.
>
> OSS has been replaced.
> Static /dev has been replaced.
> SysV init has been replaced.
> IDE drives aren't /dev/hd* anymore.
> We're using LVM instead of raw partitions.
>
> All of these things (and more) caused a bit of trouble when they were
> first introduced and then became the norm.
>

> Brian

Brian,

You are comparing apples and oranges. Like I responded to Jeff.

Most all of the technologies you mentioned are cross-distribution.
Everybody switched, compatibility across distributions was maintained.
Books and brains were free to drop the old ways and just document and
learn the new ways.

This X tty change is not comparable.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs