Window / Screen question

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 17:36:07 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 19:52:16 Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    This isn't a fedora question specifically, however just thought I'd
> run it by to get some feedback.
>
>    I've had a multi-card/multi-monitor setup for a few months now. It
> has been a royal pain. (Only the closed drivers can handle it
> unfortunately). I was talking to the radeon/ati driver people and have
> been informed that multi-card setups don't get much love from either the
> driver developers or upstream/xorg. So I've figured I may move from 3
> monitors back to 2 larger (24") monitors. So after that history, here
> comes the idea...

Having similar problems here, but without adding nomodeset/nofb options to the
kernel command line I can't even boot this machine into current rawhide. With
nomodeset alone, I get to a command line but there's an oops when it tries to
load the radeon driver.

>    I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'fake' monitor
> borders/dimensions. So you instruct xorg/gnome/xinerama or whatever that
> the 1900 pixel width is 2/3rd + 1/3rd. If I were to click maximize
> within either of those imaginary borders, it would maximize to that size
> instead of the 1900 px width. If I double clicked, it would then go
> fullscreen...
>
> Does this sound at all useful? Opinions / critiques...

This sounds very like a debugging mode metacity used to have where it would
pretend you had two side by side half-width screens (so apps would maximise to
half the desktop) but it wasn't configurable, just a way to test xinerama code
in metacity. Would be extremely useful, for me at least, if I get the 1920 by
1200 monitor I'd like :-q