Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 29 20:12:06 UTC 2008

> Maybe you don't remember it, but there was a time when there actually
> were a lot of different operating systems in use, and they had really
> annoying arbitrary differences.

Linux is just a fad...Ultrix will live forever!  My DECstation 5000/120
with PMAG-AA framebuffer doesn't have any screen flicker like this Linux
toy!

You're, of course, right that there were lots of annoying differences.
There are annoying differences between the distributions right now as
well.  Which VT X is running is probably the least irritating.

Plus, how many different distros does any one person regularly run?
Between work and home, I'm running RHEL and Fedora.  I roll my eyes when
I run an LVM command on the RHEL4 boxes that isn't there, but its not a
big deal.

People adapt, just like when I had to deal with Tru64, Solaris, and
Linux.  "ps" is a harsh mistress when it comes to flags.

Brian