Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 29 20:23:07 UTC 2008

> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> Well, I'm a long time user and I don't see what the big deal is.  There
> >> are several people on this list which seem to announce that "<insert
> >> change here> is the one that's going to drive long time users away"
> >> and/or "time to look for a new distribution" semi-regularly... yet they
> >> (long time users) are still here.
> >
> > Maybe they just haven't found anything better (yet)?
>
> Or, speaking for myself, not actually running fedora anymore, just
> watching to see how much damage is going to make its way into the next
> RHEL and clones.

So, out of curiosity...Do you run X on your RHEL machines?  Are you
going to switch from RHEL when this change makes it into RHEL6 or
whatever?

X isn't running on mine (unless I start it manually for some reason) so
it doesn't make any difference in my case.  Frankly, I'm more concerned
with the inittab changes and the way Tivoli Storage Manager starts
up...but its something I'll fix once and be done with.

For my desktop/laptop machines (all fedora), I'm actually thrilled with
the new startup stuff.

Brian