Don't hibernate, crashing is faster.

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Oct 29 22:42:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 17:32 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Read closer, that's exactly the problem it solves. Crash only software
> restarts in exactly the same state as when it crashed. Like firefox,
> only without the dialog...

Yeah, yeah, but until you instrument every single app to do that
properly, hibernate has its use.

And even if you manage to do that, it's not clear that you want
to get rid of the two things, because starting from a clean slate
has its uses.

Fifefox has little state to save, and sometimes I _have_ to restart
clean 'cause it will be too slow anyway. But good luck to you getting
a complex app to save every freaking bit of crap.

When you're done in the year 2040, we'll look at getting rid of
hibernate. Meanwhile, *today* you need it to operate a laptop
properly.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.