Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 03:43:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 11:41 -0600, Dax Kelson wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 08:32 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Matthew Woehlke
> > > it don't appear to care about the objections; they're not responding
> > > intelligently to them,
> >
> > I don't have an intelligent response to any argument which essentially
> > comes down to "tradition."  Have the traditionalists pulled put forth
> > any consensus document like an RFC to support that at some point in
> > time a group of people actually talk through the need for doing gettys
> > a certain way?
> >
> > Traditions which codify a collection of arbitrary decisions..are
> > traditions I will gladly help throw into the fire.
>
> Jef,
>
> Not you too. My arguments are NOT "essentially" tradition. One of my 9
> distinct arguments was Fedora becomes inconsistent with itself.
>
> Another was that Fedora becomes incompatible with other Linux
> distributions. Do we really want to go down the path where we have to
> have "Fedora experts", "SUSE experts, "Ubuntu experts", etc and there is
> no such thing as a "Linux expert"? That were the path of frivolous
> incompatibilities leads.

Plus, distros are already incompatible.  Debian has a completely
different network config system than Fedora does, same with SUSE.  The
distros put their config files in different places.  There are two main
packaging formats.  Having a vt somewhere else is _soooo_ much less
incompatible than apt vs. rpm.

Dan