Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Oct 30 16:48:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 10:38 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> However I also believe this flamewar is due on no little part on how
> previous changes were managed, and is more an "enough is enough"
> thread than a "X on tty7" is sacred thread. It would be nice if
> previous big changes were assimilated before adding more to the mix
> (how many releases will it take before NetWorkManager is solid and
> complete and on by default without needing the old framework for
> backup, for example?).
>
> Contrary to popular belief the supply of new unprejudiced users is not
> inexhaustible, existing users are not a burden but an asset, and if we
> piss off enough of them by changing stuff continuously and never
> delivering stable complete replacements they'll make us such a
> reputation we'll not find any replacements (there is such thing as the
> Internet and Google, and they have long memories).

The flip side of this is "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". The same handful of
people bitch and whine about any and every change and decision. After a
while they lose credibility and are doing nothing but filling the
mailing list with useless crap.

If I had the power I'd be banhammering people so hard...

...which is why I should never be in charge of a mailing list.