Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 21:10:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson (dbn.lists at gmail.com) said:
>> Yeah, I realized that later. The writing of /var/spool/gdm/whatever
>> should be done from /etc/event.d/tty1, since that's the only place you
>> really know it's appropriate. I changed it so that it only happens on
>> initial boot to runlevel 5 (`runlevel` = "N 5"). There is still the
>> problem where getty is not started on tty1 when the display manager is
>> not gdm. That would require some more smarts between /etc/event.d/tty1
>> and /etc/event.d/prefdm. But that's no different than the current
>> situation. I'm confident this can be done correctly, though. Patch
>> attached.
>
> Doesn't this just create a race between tty1 writing the file
> and gdm trying to read it?

Oh, very good point. Let's try again. In the attached patch, all the
logic is handled in event.d/prefdm. In particular, when we want to
spawn a getty on tty1, we use initctl to emit a new event
"tty1-getty". This also includes some logic to try to make sure that
the display manager is gdm before assuming that it will be able to
start on tty1.

What do you think?

--
Dan