Problems with kernel-2.6.26 and 2.6.27-0.x.rc2

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Sep 1 07:28:16 UTC 2008

Dave Airlie wrote:

<snip>

> So you have two problems.. one is a kernel module is loading and hanging
> the boot process, this is usually blamed on udev, the fact that hitting
> a key helps implies some interrupt handling problem maybe..
>
> The other is the graphical boot not working properly on your card, for
> that you can boot with nomodeset on the command line, if udev hangs that
> is the other problem. For the graphical boot, I'd need to know the
> graphics card and type of card, agp pci etc. and type of display plugged
> in.

Hi Dave,

I'm seeing problems with graphical boot too, I haven't been reporting them
sofar as things are still somewhat in flux with regards to kernel mode setting.

But since you asked:

00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV570 [Radeon X1950
Pro] (rev 9a)
03:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV570 [Radeon X1950 Pro]
(secondary) (rev 9a)

dual core x86_64 system running:
kernel-2.6.27-0.290.rc5.fc10.x86_64

Using an analog vga attached 1280x1024 lcd screen

Graphical boot worked a couple of times but the last 2 boots it hanged with a
black screen when the mode got set (I'm now running aan older kernel).

When graphical boot did work, X was slow as molasses, Xorg.log provided no
clues (I could find), but this may be because I was only running the latest
kernel and my xorg and libdrm are about 2 weeks old.

Let me know if you want this in bugzilla and what more I can do to test. I must
say that plymouth looked good when it worked.

Regards,

Hans