Dependency loops considered harmful?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Sep 4 20:13:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 22:05 +0300, Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> The problem with using rpm to install software you develop is that you
> need to do a *full build* every time whenever you change something.
> Even with a caching compiler, that can take a long time. Think Qt for
> instance.

This is going off on an unproductive tangent. No, I'm not saying use RPM
packaging during your edit-compile-test loop. You do it for longer term
testing and deployment.

Why would you, in the middle of a development session, suddenly decide
you need to remove Rhythmbox? Because you ran out of disk space? This
corner case is getting increasingly obscure. Since you're in the middle
of a development session, you'd notice right away your app just broke,
and I'd hope you'd realize it was because of the thing you just did.

If we allowed obscure corner cases to veto every engineering proposal,
we'd never get anything done.