A browseable networktree for access to SMB, FTP, SSH and other resources.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:54:05 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I've been working on a construction to make access to networkresources
easier, using autofs.

The construction permits user access to networkresources like a
Samba/Windows server with cifs, FTP servers using curlftpfs and SSH using
sshfs (fuse), in one directory created with autofs. I'm sure more services
like nfs and ipx are possible, but I did not test that. (in fact there
should be a lookup utility, simular to nmblookup or nbtscan and a mount
helper, and of course support in the kernel..)

The construction creates a directory in your home directory like:

/home/sbon/Global Network

under which the different networks go:

/home/sbon/Global Network/FTP
                                         SSH access
                                         Windows Network

when browsing the Windows Network tree, you're able to select the workgroup,
host and share.

/home/sbon/Global Network/Windows Network/BONONLINE

ROUTER

bononline

ftp

public

sbon

CWWERKGROEP

These shares are mounted when accessed, using cifs. The use of credentials
is supported, guest access is the default.
Cifs is supprting much more than the kioslaves or the Gnome VFS. For example
oplocks, ACL's and inotify,
which play an important role in the Windows networks, but I think you
already know that...

(and: a desktop manager should should not be involved with network
services/filesystems)

The tree is dynamically created using nbtscan (or nmblookup) and smbclient.

I'm trying to write an article about this toppic, which should soon appear
in the dutch Linux Magazine.

What I'm asking is, are you interested in this construction? I'm very
enthousiast about it, and I'm sure it has potential.

Look for some information at the website:

http://linux.bononline.nl/linux/automountsmbshares/index.php<http://linux.bononline.nl/linux/automountsmbshares/automountsmbshares-page01a.php>

Information there is not ready yet, I'm working on that.

Looking forward to your reply,

Stef Bon
Voorburg
the Netherlands