Heads-up: libdap and libnc-dap updates

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Sep 5 19:44:04 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas <pertusus <at> free.fr> writes:
> I don't want to do devel compat package, I don't think it is needed,
> and this compat package should be removed in F12 or so.

That makes no sense at all. Either the packages build against the new library,
then they should simply be rebuilt, or they don't, in which case the -devel
package for the compatibility library MUST be provided or the dependent
packages don't rebuild anymore. We're trying hard to get FTBFS bugs fixed,
intentionally causing new ones is a very bad idea. What if one of the dependent
packages has a security issue?

IMHO, compatibility libraries without a -devel package should be banned
entirely. If the compatibility package is needed, so is the
corresponding -devel package, unless the changes are strictly ABI-only with
100% source compatibility (usually they aren't)! And in that rare event, a mass
rebuild is a better solution than a compatibility package.

        Kevin Kofler