Boot speedup with readahead

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Sat Sep 6 10:52:56 UTC 2008

Hello fellow Fedora developers,

recently readahead was modified to adapt to system file changes and to start very early in the boot process
via upstart.

I would like to encourage you to test readahead-1.4.5-3.fc10 from rawhide (even possible on F9), which I built
some minutes ago. It may take a day to reach your local mirror.

# yum --enablerepo=rawhide install readahead
or
# yum --enablerepo=rawhide update readahead

With the next reboot readahead-collector runs and collects the information which files are used during the
boot process. The next reboot then, readahead read ahead those files and the boot process (from init start to
gdm login screen) should be approx. 10% faster.

Hope it speeds up your boot process a little bit. Please report any changes in your boot time (can be measured
with a stop clock or bootchart).

You can modify /etc/sysconfig/readahead to turn readahead on/off.